Re: libjava testsuite problem under i686-pc-linux-gnu

From: John David Anglin
Subject: Re: libjava testsuite problem under i686-pc-linux-gnu
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 22:34:45 -0400 (EDT)

> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored for dependencies of shared libraries.
> > What does work for me, is adding `rpath' options for the relink
> > based on the path in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> How about setting LD_RUN_PATH?

I haven't tried it but the manpage says that it is only used when rpath
isn't used:

                                     If  -rpath  is not used when
              linking an ELF executable, the contents of the  en-
              vironment  variable  LD_RUN_PATH will be used if it
              is defined.

I don't see a big problem with adding rpath options based on
LD_LIBRARY_PATH when linking applications that only will run in the
build directory.  The other option that likely would work is building
two versions of each shared library.  The non-installed version would
be built using `rpath-link' options suitable for resolving dependencies
in the build directory.  I have the feeling that the first approach
is simpler.  However, it might not resolve all problems because
according to the manpage the search patch built up using rpath options
only applies to libraries explicitly included in the link.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  address@hidden