Re: Line length limitations

From: libtool
Subject: Re: Line length limitations
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:56:35 -0500

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 07:10:43PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 27, 2001, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > Turns out the problem was with sed. Solaris
> > 2.5.1-8/SPARC have the same problem.
>
> > The problem arises with the assignment for compile_command. I get:
> >   Output line too long.
> >   Output line too long.
>
> Wow!  At least you get some output.  Some seds will just throw away
> the excess characters.
>
> > Should the command to find the maximum command-line length take the
> > above into consideration?
>
> Yep.  This is in our wishlist.
>
> > And, if it did, would it have helped?
>
> Only to the point of warning you in case sed is broken if you use long
> command lines.  I can't think of any reasonable way to make it work in
> this case.

Would you accept a patch to libtool to locale a better sed on the
system? On solaris, /usr/xpg4/bin/sed works better than /usr/bin/sed.
I imagine some autoconf addition that sent a long string to various
sed's on the system and whichever worked would be used as the sed in
libtool.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)