Re: address@hidden: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: libtool]

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: libtool]
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:25:45 +0200

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:30:22PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
:  needs a way to be able to set the soname.  Yes, this is bad in general.
:  It defeats the whole purpose of libtool, but the problem is that Mesa
:  is providing another version of an existing library.  I can imagine
:  things like Motif (lesstif), OpenInventor (Coin, mostly non issue now)
:  are in the same situation.

Just to digress; for Coin we use the soname libCoin.so.#.#.# (normal
libtool version-info) because Open Inventor is C++, and achieving
ABI-compatibility with it is impossible.  I don't even think either
SGI or TGS Open Inventor is ABI-compatible with itself for many
version-increments at a time.  Of course, your point is still valid
for the situation with Mesa and Lesstif.

Another digression; I'd like to know what you meant with the "mostly non
issue" comment.

  Lars J