Re: Paul Sokolovsky's ld --auto-import

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Paul Sokolovsky's ld --auto-import
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:33:19 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden>
To: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 9:10 PM

> On Sunday 10 June 2001 12:58 am, Robert Collins wrote:
> > Paul's patch to ld to auto-import symbols seems to work well. I'm
> > currently putting it through all the tortuorus combinations I can
think
> > of, that libtool would allow users to do. I've had no trouble so
far,
> > except a small conflict with the dll base address, that was hard to
find
> > but was easy to fix :].
> >
> > Now my question for the list:
> >
> > Does libtool support non-gcc compilers on win32 at the present time?
> > Are there plans to do so?
>
> Yes it does.  However, it has probably bitrotted to the point of
uselessness.
>  Currently we assume MSVC++ if gcc is not detected on Windows, but it
would
> not be difficult to add support for others into the existing framework
if
> they can be recognised by a configure test.

Ah. Well the issue is that we then want to keep the 5 stage link for
those less featured linkers :]

I've got libtool making depdemo in static mode quite happily, with _no_
decoration in the headers. Problem is, it's segfaulting at the putchar
in l3. I have no idea why - I'm currently putting toghether a minimal
testcase outside of libtool to see if I can get something concrete to
send Paul.

Other than that, it looks good.

Rob