Re: Paul Sokolovsky's ld --auto-import

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: Paul Sokolovsky's ld --auto-import
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:56:13 +0100

On Sunday 10 June 2001  1:33 pm, Robert Collins wrote:
> From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden>
> > >
> > > Does libtool support non-gcc compilers on win32 at the present time?
> > > Are there plans to do so?
> >
> > Yes it does.  However, it has probably bitrotted to the point of
> > uselessness.
> >
> > Currently we assume MSVC++ if gcc is not detected on Windows, but it
> > would not be difficult to add support for others into the existing
> > framework if they can be recognised by a configure test.
>
> Ah. Well the issue is that we then want to keep the 5 stage link for
> those less featured linkers :]

Excellent.  I did make a patch to replace the current multi-pass link and
take advantage of DJ's first enhancements to ld, but decided against applying
it -- I didn't want to lose the old method, nor support 2.  I never got
around to fixing it up to figure out which method to use.  The only real
issue then, is detecting which method is suitable at configure time, which is
probably no more complicated than trying the new method in a configure test,
and falling back to the old if it fails.

> I've got libtool making depdemo in static mode quite happily, with _no_
> decoration in the headers. Problem is, it's segfaulting at the putchar
> in l3. I have no idea why - I'm currently putting toghether a minimal
> testcase outside of libtool to see if I can get something concrete to
> send Paul.

That is still a huge stride forward over what we put up with at the moment.

> Other than that, it looks good.

Fantastic =)O|

> Rob

Cheers,