Re: Fortran support in multi-language branch?

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Fortran support in multi-language branch?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:00:01 -0500

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> We are libtoolizing our fairly large scientific software package.
>
> Since fortran is still significantly faster than c on most architectures
> we use f77 for the innerloops and link it with c and assembly routines.
>
> Now, both C and assembly seem to be handled nicely by the multi-language
> brach, but for fortran I guess I'll have to hack a ltcf-f77.sh.
>
> Of course I'll try to do that, but if anyone else has already tried
> it I'd be happy if you have some tips or tricks to share...
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

Erik:

I've often wondered why no one had stepped up to do this before, but
I'm gld to see you've volunteered.  :)  I'd be glad to help out, and
I think there may be a few other things required such as an
AC_LIBTOOL_F77 macro.  My advice for getting started would be to
copy ltcf-c.sh and use that as a starting point.  One thing I'd
like to see in Libtool is support for multiple-language libraries
where f90 C and C++ sources can be used together in a single shared
library.

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center