Fix for libtool on freebsd: defer use of -lc until app is linked

From: Don Anderson
Subject: Fix for libtool on freebsd: defer use of -lc until app is linked
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:29:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hello libtoolers,

Here is a fix for libtool 1.4 running on freebsd.  Applications linked
with our library (libdb.so, built using libtool) on freebsd have
libc.so mistakenly pulled in by libdb.so, even though we don't
specify -lc on our command line.  The idea on freebsd is to defer the
selection of -lc vs. -lc_r until the application is linked.  The
application builder has a choice to use the -pthread option or not, so
they'll get the libc.so or libc_r.so accordingly.  Making the attached
change fixes the problem.  We've also confirmed that all the
libtool tests pass with this change on freebsd.

Can somebody please incorporate this?  We submitted an equivalent patch
for a previous version of libtool, but somehow it never got in.
Please clue me in if there's a better way to submit patches.
Thanks!

- Don Anderson

*** ltmain.in.ORIG      Tue Apr 24 19:10:46 2001
--- ltmain.in   Sat Jun 16 16:49:16 2001
***************
*** 2405,2411 ****
            # Rhapsody C library is in the System framework
            deplibs="$deplibs -framework System"
            ;;
!         *-*-netbsd*)
            # Don't link with libc until the a.out ld.so is fixed.
            ;;
          *)
--- 2405,2411 ----
            # Rhapsody C library is in the System framework
            deplibs="$deplibs -framework System"
            ;;
!         *-*-netbsd* | *-*-freebsd*)
            # Don't link with libc until the a.out ld.so is fixed.
            ;;
          *)

*** ltmain.sh.ORIG      Tue Apr 24 19:35:10 2001
--- ltmain.sh   Sat Jun 16 16:49:33 2001
***************
*** 2405,2411 ****
            # Rhapsody C library is in the System framework
            deplibs="$deplibs -framework System"
            ;;
!         *-*-netbsd*)
            # Don't link with libc until the a.out ld.so is fixed.
            ;;
          *)
--- 2405,2411 ----
            # Rhapsody C library is in the System framework
            deplibs="$deplibs -framework System"
            ;;
!         *-*-netbsd* | *-*-freebsd*)
            # Don't link with libc until the a.out ld.so is fixed.
            ;;
          *)

        Don Anderson                    address@hidden
        Sleepycat Software Inc.         +1-978-287-4781
        118 Tower Rd.                   http://www.sleepycat.com
        Lincoln, MA 01773