Re: [ 100058 ] 1.4 - $buildir-path may not contain "~"

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [ 100058 ] 1.4 - $buildir-path may not contain "~"
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:31:01 +0200

Bruce Korb wrote:
> So, we should make the fix you suggest using the timing
> Gary talks of and our customers would still be advised
> against using non-POSIX characters in their path names  :-).

*grin* welcome mac-os-x to the posix world....

Well, you just don't always have the choice to control the
path up to your project directory. I wonder about a discussion
(somewhen in the last months) that did mention ebcdic
char-encoding or even unicode-char-encoding - advising
against non-posix characters is a victorian pledge that
will hit enough environments that live free s^H^H^H^H^H^H
with some other software that might have not been
considered originally. It should be up to the autotools to
be modest, make wise choices in problematic areas, and
document any different behaviour that may let people stumble
later on. Yes, it would make libtool to be easier to maintain
if users, systems and admins out there would not be that
crazy as they sometimes are ;-)