Re: dll installation logic

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: dll installation logic
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:01:57 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandre Oliva" <address@hidden>

> On Jun  8, 2001, Guido Draheim <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > hmmm, or an autoconf wrapper macro?
>
> Nope, this wouldn't work for libraries that are not installed in
> libdir, but in a subdir thereof.

Whatever it is, it needs to be
a) binary so that it can be run from win32, not just bash :]
b) contain forwarded symbols for the _actual_ executable so that
dlopen() on it works as expected... and unfortunately, AFAICT that means
that it will then fail to load if the real exe is not in same directory
as the wrapper. (That being a problem because if it must be in the same
dir, users cannot move .exe files around!).

Personally, I'm in favour of no script, just installing into a path
contained location, and then adding a switch to override that (something
like AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_REAL_LIB_PATHS) for users that know to update
their PATH.

Alternatively, we could look at registering the .dlls as shared files,
which I _think_ will enable windows to find them regardless. I'm not
sure what that does to load order dependent programs though :[..

Rob