MLB merge is done! Hurray!

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: MLB merge is done! Hurray!
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:40:34 +0100

Hello Libtoolers!

As soon as subversions stops refusing connections, I will commit to HEAD the
changes I made as I merged the rest of MLB.  The patch is huge, due to the
amount of code I have had to touch, so I won't post it here... please extract
it from CVS if necessary.

Currently it passes all tests on my i686-pc-linux-gnu, and comparing the
contents of the tags in the generated libtool with the equivalent from MLB
there is only one difference (in the CXX tag):

  The merged version has `runpath_var=LD_RUN_PATH' (and consequently
  `variables_saved_for_relink' includes LD_RUN_PATH), whereas MLB has
  `runpath_var='.

I'm inclined to think this is a bug in MLB, but if anyone knows better please
let me know.

One thing that worries me is that I am not sure that the patch correctly
handles an absence of gcj and/or a c++ compiler.  The other big worry I have
is that I have touched an awfully large amount of code to teach many of the
macros to run in multiple contexts, so I may have made a mistake in some of
the non-linux platforms.

Anyway, I would like to declare MLB officially dead, and reopen HEAD for
development.  I would enormously appreciate any help with draining the patch
queue (i.e. unapplied patches from the list) so that I can make a 1.4b alpha
release in the near future.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--