Re: how to run ldd on non-installed .so ?

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: how to run ldd on non-installed .so ?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:40:34 +0100

On Monday 02 July 2001  4:35 pm, John Reiser wrote:
> "Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:
> >libtool always operates on libtool libraries, so you should be using:
> >
> >   $top_builddir/libtool --mode=execute ldd foo.la
>
> When I run
>       $top_builddir/libtool --mode=execute ldd libfoo.la
> with "set -x" then eventually I see
>       + . ./libfoo.la   # execute all assignments in .la file
>       + eval 'exec $cmd "/"'
>       ++ exec ldd /
>       ldd: /: No such file or directory
> because the .la file contains no assignment to 'progdir' or 'program'.
> Also, libtool has not processed the dependent libraries that libfoo
> requires, and has not set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> It looks like I need --mode=link to get that processing.
> libtool's philosophy "a library is a program" has not been implemented
> here.
>
> When I run [using kdelibs-2.1.2/libtool, which looks configured reasonably]
>       $top_builddir/libtool --mode=link ldd libfoo.la
> with "set -x" then eventually I see
>       + grep '^### BEGIN LIBTOOL TAG CONFIG: CXX$'
>       + echo 'libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration'
>       + echo 'libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'\'''
>       + exit 1
> And --mode=link has not processed the dependent libraries, nor set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Ah.  I see what you mean now; I should have read you original message more
carefully.  This is certainly a bug -- or at least an unimplemented feature
;-)

> How can I get libtool to process the dependent libraries and set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that ldd gives the right answer, even when
> the .la is not installed?

Send us a patch for ltmain.in against CVS HEAD.

> It looks to me as if 'ldd' is a case that libtool does not implement.

Agreed.  Unfortunately I am swamped under the current patch backlog right
now, so I can't look at it myself.  I'd be happy to answer questions for
anyone else who wants to tackle it.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--