Multiple configure.in files with libtool

From: Tod W. Milam
Subject: Multiple configure.in files with libtool
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello -

I'm not sure if this is an autoconf or libtool problem, but libtool is
giving me the error so I'm starting with this list.

I have a project that uses plugins (Libtool modules) for changing the
destination of the output.  I have everything working fine using one
top-level configure.in file.
Each plugin depends on different third-party libraries and only gets
compiled when that library is found on the system.
Using one top-level configure.in seems to link all found libraries with
all other parts of the project.  Therefore I am trying to put
configure.in files in each of the plugin directories so that the
third-party libraries will only be linked to the appropriate module
file.
The configure part seems to work fine and everything compiles and
installs fine, but when I try to use one of the newly created modules I
get "file not found" returned from the failed call to lt_dlopenext.

Here is the top-level configure.in:
----------------------------cut here--------------------------------
dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([src/rlog/rlog.c])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(rlog,1.0.2)
AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(libltdl \
        src/plugins/mysql)

dnl Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

AC_SUBST(INCLTDL)
AC_SUBST(LIBLTDL)

dnl Checks for pthread.
ACX_PTHREAD()

dnl Check for definition of socklen_t
TYPE_SOCKLEN_T()

dnl Checks for header files.
AC_HEADER_STDC
AC_CHECK_HEADERS(strings.h sys/time.h unistd.h)

dnl Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
AC_C_CONST
AC_HEADER_TIME

dnl Checks for library functions.
AC_FUNC_MEMCMP
AC_FUNC_STRFTIME
AC_CHECK_FUNCS(gethostname gettimeofday strdup)
#AC_CHECK_LIB(mysqlclient, mysql_init)
AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, socket)
AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, gethostbyname)

#AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_MYSQL,test "${ac_cv_lib_mysqlclient_mysql_init}" =
"yes")
AM_CONDITIONAL(NEED_SOCKET,test "${ac_cv_lib_socket_socket}" = "yes")
AM_CONDITIONAL(NEED_NSL,test "${ac_cv_lib_nsl_gethostbyname}" = "yes")
AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_PTHREAD,test "$acx_pthread_ok" = "yes")

dnl Allow use of dmalloc to debug memory allocations
AM_WITH_DMALLOC

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile \
          src/Makefile \
          src/rlog/Makefile \
          src/plugins/Makefile \
          src/sampleApp/Makefile \
         ])
AC_OUTPUT
---------------------cut here--------------------------

Here is the configure.in from the MySQL plugin directory:
---------------------cut here--------------------------
dnl Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT(rlogMysql.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(rlogMysql,1.0.2)
AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

AC_PROG_CC
AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

AC_SUBST(INCLTDL)
AC_SUBST(LIBLTDL)

dnl Checks for header files.
AC_HEADER_STDC
AC_CHECK_HEADERS(strings.h sys/time.h unistd.h)

dnl Checks for library functions.
AC_CHECK_LIB(mysqlclient, mysql_init)

AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_MYSQL,test "${ac_cv_lib_mysqlclient_mysql_init}" =
"yes")

dnl Allow use of dmalloc to debug memory allocations
AM_WITH_DMALLOC

AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)

I am using the following versions of autotools:
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.50
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p4
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4 (1.920 2001/04/24 23:26:18)

Any ideas or maybe a pointer to an example?

Thanks,
Tod Milam
address@hidden