Re: BUG in HEAD libtool.m4

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: BUG in HEAD libtool.m4
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:25:46 -0500

Robert Boehne wrote:

> Libtoolers:
>
> I think there is a problem with HEAD, when I run bootstrap
> with Automake 1.4i and Autoconf 2.50, then grep configure
> for archive_cmds_CXX, I see first the C++ link commands,
> then the C link commands.  Under IRIX 6.5, I'm getting
> archive_cmds=$LD etc.. in the CXX tag.  However, old_
> is properly invoking $CC -ar etc.
> Gary, shouldn't your tag mechanism create three  variables?
> archive_cmds_CC archive_cmds_CXX and archive_cmds_GCJ ?
> I haven't had a chance yet to examine how the new tag
> mechanism works, but it seems that _CXX should be used
> for C++ only, not both C and C++.
> Any comments?
>
> Rob

Ok, I looked into this a bit more, there should be three
archive_cmds* variables,
archive_cmds (for C sources)
archive_cmds_CXX (for C++)
and archvie_cmds_GCJ (for Java/gcj).

All three exist, so that bit is ok.  The problem is in
AC_LIBTOOL_PROG_LD_SHLIBS([TAGNAME])
which contains nasty C-specific archive_cmds and is
run at the end of AC_LIBTOOL_LANG_CXX_CONFIG overwriting
all of our hand-crafted C++ link commands.

I'll see if I can make a patch that will fix this
the right way.

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center