libtool 1.4b problem on HP-UX

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: libtool 1.4b problem on HP-UX
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:53:57 -0500 (CDT)

Whether or not gcc is the C compiler in use on HP-UX, $with_gcc is not
set (in either case), so the test

        if test $with_gcc = yes; then

always generates an error from test.  The only other place $with_gcc is
used is for Solaris, and my guess is that too would generate an error.
I haven't tested it yet, though.

It looks like $with_gcc isn't being set early enough in the generated
configure script for it to be used when we get to those tests.

Something like:

if test X"$GCC" = X"yes" ; then
        with_gcc=yes
else
        with_gcc=no
fi

right after the AC_PROG_CC would probably work, but it's a hack.  Someone
more familiar with the entire configuration process could probably come
up with a better way of doing this.  If not, I would be happy to submit
a patch that does the test above, for configure.ac for both libtool
and libltdl.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden