Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS

From: libtool
Subject: Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:23:51 -0500

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:13:28AM -0500, Robert Boehne wrote:
> It appears to work in my test case under Tru64 4.0f, and according
> to Tim's snippet of the documentation.  Is there a problem with my
> test case?  Perhaps I'm not testing this correctly, or perhaps you
> are referring to a slightly different situation.  In this case a
> library is dlopen'ed, and this library is dependent on another
> shared library (also in LD_LIBRARY_PATH).  The way I read this is
> that if the dlopen'ed library is built by linking with the dependent
> lib, the executable doesn't need to be.

What happens if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set? IRIX, AIX, HP-UX, and
Solaris honor RPATH for libraries. Tru64 UNIX does not (5.0A and
below).

Maybe I'm unclear on the question. Tru64 UNIX *will* load deplibs.
However, if the path to the deplib is in the RPATH of the shared
library being dlopen'ed and the path is either not in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or the RPATH of the application doing the dlopen, then the shared
library will not be loaded in. IRIX, AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris will,
however, load the shared library as they grok RPATH in shared
libraries.