Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:46:48 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler, Bill Wendling said (at...:

>}         _LT_AC_TAGVAR(hardcode_libdir_flag_spec,
>$1)='${wl}-blibpath:$libdir:/usr/lib:/lib'
>}
>}
>} Does that mean what I think it does -- the first one is getting overridden
>} by the second one?
>}
>If it was there to fix a problem, would it be in the CVS log messages
>somewhere? Just a thought :-).

I looked at the ChangeLogs and don't see it mentioned at all.

>Otherwise, it'd be great if these flags
>could go away.

The -Wl,-blibpath:$libdir/usr/lib:/lib

is a really really good idea, though.  You definitely don't want that to
go away, or many of the binaries you generate with libtool will have horrible
security problems, because the linker is going to stick *some* libpath in
the loader section.  If you don't tell it to use a good one (like the one
above), it's going to use one based on the `-L' flags it saw.  That opens
you up for all kinds of problems.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden