Re: SCO OS's (OpenServer, UnixWare) Worked well with $CC

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: SCO OS's (OpenServer, UnixWare) Worked well with $CC
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:20:39 -0500

Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> We (myself and others from SCO) made changes to my systems so all programs
> using libtool on my system used $CC last July-October and everything was
> great.  I had even forgot we had done the changes.  Downloaded the latest
> version also the latest CVS and lost my $CC changes suddenly everything
> started crashing, core dumping...  I went from passing all test to failing
> a lot.  I have found that my major problem is linking with ld instead of
> $CC and the second most problem is the -lc.  Removing it and linking with
> $CC is the best fix.  SCO Development tools and GCC Development tools
> know which linker and the right order to put things in to create the
> executable program.  Is there a way to have this be the default
> behavoir on these platforms.  I do not want to break other platforms.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Boyd Gerber <address@hidden>

This is a known problem in the HEAD CVS version, the C tags overwrite
some of the C++ tag variables, and hence attempt to link C++ with ld.
:(
We are currently working on this and will eventually fix it.
In the mean time, you may want to try the multi-language-branch of CVS.

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center