Re: libltdl obscures error messages

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: libltdl obscures error messages
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:28:57 +0100

On Friday 27 July 2001 11:17 pm, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Gary V.Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:
> > WHat about having lt_dlinit() deiberately try to load a non-existent
> > file directly through each active loader, and storing the error
> > message the system returns?  Subsequent calls to lt_dlopen then have
> > a reference error to compare against...
>
> Unless someone fiddles with the locale along the way.  The reference
> error message could also include the filename (which it atually does
> with recent versions of GNU/Linux dlopen, I think), so we would have
> to cleverly mask that out.

Good point.  But doable none the less.

> All in all, I don't think this would be
> better than relying on dlopen to set errno to ENOENT, if only by
> accident.  We can lobby the implementors of dlopen to fix this
> behavior.

Unfortunately, libtool is all about hiding such brokenness from the user.
Even if Windows, BeOS, HP-UX and all the different dlopen implementations
were fixed tomorrow, that doesn't help the people still running the old
version.  And we can't expect them all to upgrade...

Prost!
        Gary.
--
  ())_. Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)