Re: libltdl obscures error messages

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: libltdl obscures error messages
Date: 28 Jul 2001 12:02:04 +0200

Gary V.Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

> > All in all, I don't think this would be better than relying on
> > dlopen to set errno to ENOENT, if only by accident.  We can lobby
> > the implementors of dlopen to fix this behavior.
>
> Unfortunately, libtool is all about hiding such brokenness from the user.
> Even if Windows, BeOS, HP-UX and all the different dlopen implementations
> were fixed tomorrow, that doesn't help the people still running the old
> version.  And we can't expect them all to upgrade...

Sorry, wrong wording.  With "fix", I meant that dlopen should `fix'
its current behavior of setting errno, so that we can be sure that
this bevaior doesn't disappear in the future.  Even if it only sets
errno accidentally in the existing versions, we can rely on it, since
it is not going to change.

> Prost!

[ Testing your German, eh? ;-) ]