libtool FORTRAN support

From: Kurt Hornik
Subject: libtool FORTRAN support
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:32:06 +0200

I am trying to find out about the short- and long-term feasibility of
using libtool for R (`GNU S'), a system for statistical computation and
graphics which is a free implementation of the award-winning S
language.  (See http://www.R-project.org for more information.)

In R, one can dynamically load shlib modules at run-time and access the
functionality in the module using a standardized foreign function
interface (.C(), .Fortran(), and more).  Sources for the modules can be
in C, C++ or *FORTRAN*.  As a lot of numerical and statistical code for
FORTRAN is available, support for FORTRAN is inevitable.

Last time I had a closer look, it seemed that libtool basically only had
support for C.  The current CVS seems to have added support for C++ and
Java, but apparently not for FORTRAN.  But maybe I am missing something
obvious here?  If not, are there any plans to add support for FORTRAN?

Feedback to address@hidden is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-k