Re: Mixing C and C++

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: Mixing C and C++
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:11:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Eric Lemings wrote:

> Furthermore, you would like to use Libtool to build and manage the
> library.  Is Libtool smart enough to keep the C object files and the C++
> object files seperate

That has nothing to do with libtool.  It's the makefile job to keep them
separate.   On that I believe automake can not deal with such file in the
same dir, but I might well be wrong.

> the way it keeps static and shared object files
> seperate?  Or is Libtool designed to support C or C++ libraries but not
> both in the same distribution?

... in the same directory.  As said, it's more an issue of
automake, which normally puts .c.lo and .cc.lo rules in. libtool itself
can cope with different suffixes but same basenames just fine,
in the same way, that you already currently have to take.  I.e. if you
curently do
gcc -c a.c -o a_c.o ; gcc -c a.cc -o a_cc.o
you can do so too with libtool --mode=compile (replacing .o with .lo).

Ciao,
Michael.