Re: libtool broken in kdebase 2.2.0

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: libtool broken in kdebase 2.2.0
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:46:15 +0100

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 04:34:07PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have noticed that on debian ppc sid we
> have problems building kdebase 2.2.0 because
> of flaws in the libtool included there. The
> problem is that the libtool is linking with
> --nostdlib but fails to pass -lgcc along for
> the link. This results in shared libs with
> an undefined symbol for __cmpdi2 which would
> be resolved by linking in libgcc. I would like
> to here some suggestions on how to address this
> by a patch to libtool so we don't have to hack
> the Makefile.am's in kdebase. I have been told
> that libtool should be smart enough to figure
> out from gcc -v that it needs to link in libgcc.
> Thanks in advance for any help in resolving this
> issue.
>               Jack Howarth

I think we have uncovered a serious flaw in the link strategy employed
by libtool.  I can see the problem, but I don;t understand the
details... you will need to explain exactly what is going wrong to
me, so that we can hopefully figure out how to fix it.

For instance, is it always the case that whatever file is listed in
the *libgcc section of the spec file should be manually linked in by
libtool, if it has decided (for whatever reason) to pass --nostdlib on
the link line?  Even for g++, gcj?  What happens when linking a
library... linking libgcc.a into a shared library is asking for
trouble.

I wish I had a better understanding of linkers and the like :-(

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ())_. Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)