sys_lib_search_patch_spec/path_separator (Re: Suggested pathes to CVC l

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: sys_lib_search_patch_spec/path_separator (Re: Suggested pathes to CVC libtool: Mingw improvement, .rc support)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:06:54 +0200

Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> -- Small improvement for mingw-hosted tool support (while still
> running libtool on cygwin). In that case PATH_SEPARATOR is ':', but
> gcc -print-search-dirs still prints its search path with ';' as
> separator.
>
>    yes,mingw*)
>      library_names_spec='${libname}`echo ${release} | sed -e
> 's/[[.]]/-/g'`${versuffix}.dll'
> -    sys_lib_search_path_spec=`$CC -print-search-dirs | grep "^libraries:" |
> sed -e "s/^libraries://" -e "s/$PATH_SEPARATOR/ /g"`
> +    sys_lib_search_path_spec=`$CC -print-search-dirs | grep "^libraries:" |
> sed -e "s/^libraries://"`
> +    if echo "$sys_lib_search_path_spec" | [egrep ';[C-Z]:/' >/dev/null]; then
> +       # It is most probably a Windows format PATH printed by
> +       # mingw gcc, but we are running on Cygwin. Gcc prints its search
> +       # path with ; separators, and with drive letters. We can handle the
> +       # drive letters (cygwin fileutils understands them), so leave them,
> +       # especially as we might pass files found there to a mingw objdump,
> +       # which wouldn't understand a cygwinified path. Ahh.
> +       sys_lib_search_path_spec=`echo "$sys_lib_search_path_spec" | sed -e
> 's/;/ /g'`
> +    else
> +       sys_lib_search_path_spec=`echo "$sys_lib_search_path_spec" | sed  -e
> "s/$PATH_SEPARATOR/ /g"`
> +    fi
>      ;;

being the one to look into cross-mingw, I do support the idea to have a closer
look for a dosish pathstyle reported by gcc itself. However I have a few
questions
(which should make you know I do not know about cygwin-hosted ming-compiling)...

a) why is it just "C:/" - with a forward-slash? no backward-slash possible?
b) why is it just bigcaps drive-letters?
c) a singular path (where the ";" fails) is 99,99% improbable, I second that.
well....

In one of my pre-submitted patch-files on my disk, I did just check for the
existence of a ";" under the assumption that unix-pathlists will never ever
contain that character inside a dirpath-element - or atleast it can be
rightfully
called insane. The thing could look like the following, so *hmm* what would YOU
think of a style like this:

case "$sys_lib_search_path_spec" in
  # unixshell pathlists are not supposed to contain any ";" in its path elements
  *;*) sys_lib_search_path_spec=`echo "$sys_lib_search_path_spec" | sed -e
  *)   sys_lib_search_path_spec=`echo "$sys_lib_search_path_spec" | sed  -e
"s/$PATH_SEPARATOR/ /g"` ;;
esac

cheers,
-- guido                            Edel sei der Mensch, hilfreich und gut
GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)