Re: Darwin once more

From: Max Horn
Subject: Re: Darwin once more
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:25:23 +0200

At 1:35 Uhr +0200 22.09.2001, Max Horn wrote:
[...]

2) in libtool.m4, HEAD cvs, line 4685, look like this:

      _LT_AC_TAGVAR(whole_archive_flag_spec, $1)='-all_load $convenience'

This particular line, as I know realize, is the source of various problem I have with libtool on darwin. It does not make any sense to me, as the -all_load command does not take any parameters, too. The current line does cause problems with linking frequently, though. To quote the ld man page on OS X:

       -all_load
              Loads  all  members  of  static  archive libraries.
              This  option  does  not  apply  to  dynamic  shared
              libraries.

Fine; but if you just specify $conveniance there, then in various cases it will pass the libs in there *twice*, which may work on other systems (or may not :), but on darwin it definitly fails, the compiler does not like this behaviour.

So I tried just dropping the $conveniance part, and that worked fine in one test case; but I think somebody should think about this who knows more.

OK, I just run a make clean & make check, and it turns out that this will cause the cdemo to fail; so it is not a working solution :/

So sometimes, this is needed to add in objects that are not listed otherwise; but sometimes it causes stuff to be linked twice. Seems to indicate to me that something more fundamental is wrong, no?

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:address@hidden>