Re: Shared libs under Mac OS X "Darwin"

From: Max Horn
Subject: Re: Shared libs under Mac OS X "Darwin"
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:23:34 +0200

At 9:52 Uhr +0100 26.09.2001, Nick Gorham wrote:
Max Horn wrote:

 At 18:24 Uhr -0500 25.09.2001, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
 >What is required to get shared libraries working under Mac OS X?  Is
 >CVS libtool expected to work for Mac OS X?

 It works, sort off, but it has some bugs, most importatnly, it will
 try to link in various twice under some conditions (happen if you use
 conveniance libs). Otherwise it works nicely.

I have found that is caused by

    whole_archive_flag_spec="-all_load \$convenience"

replace it with

    whole_archive_flag_spec=

Nick,

this works in this case, but it breaks other things, sadly.... it ain't that easy. Just try a "make check" with and without this change, and you'll see.

Furthermore, there is at least one other quoting issue that I recently reported, though nobody commented on it, and I am afraid I do not know enough about the internals of libtool to fix it (and fix it in a fashion that doesn't break the rest of the world).

Sad but ture: right now I cannot reliably use libtool 1.4.x on darwin for all purposes.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:address@hidden>