Re: Darwin patches?

From: Max Horn
Subject: Re: Darwin patches?
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 23:12:52 +0200

 > The reason is,

 [drawin1.[0-2]]] is a bit behind, since Darwin is at 1.4.1 as of October
 1st.  Although < 1.4.0 is a major change in some instances, although not
 so much with libtool.

There is a good reason for this check - it *deliberatly* checks for darwin 1.0 - 1.2, because those are different in many aspects from 1.3/1.4. Those are handled in other places, though.

 I asked the Darwin group why they are just local to the filesystem.

Okay.  Keep us posted.

There is one patch against libtool for the benefit of Darwin, that I
have had to rejected because it causes regressions for most other
platforms.  You should be able to find the thread in the list archives.

That patch is actually bad even on darwin. As Christoph Pfisterer and I posted here various time (but sadly, there never was a reply), there seems to be a bit more fundamental libtool issue regarding conveniance libs. The -all_load flag just doesn't do it, and libtool has this habit of listing convenience libs twice on the command line used to invoke the linker, causing loads of "multiple definitions" errors

Also there is a long standing problem with the way zsh echo handles
backslashes that I haven't had the time to look into.  Fixing this
would make life for libtool on darwin a whole lot easier...

Certainly!

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer