libtool 1.4, rpm, and dynamic libraries depending on each other

From: Martin Norbäck
Subject: libtool 1.4, rpm, and dynamic libraries depending on each other
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:15:35 +0200

I don't know where to ask this, but this is as good a place as any I
guess (rpm-list and libtool-list).

My problem is this:

I have two dynamic libraries in the project. One of them depends on the
other, so I have

pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = libmsgevents.la libdvdcontrol.la
libmsgevents_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 3:0:0
libdvdcontrol_la_LIBADD = libmsgevents.la
libdvdcontrol_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 3:0:0

among other things in my Makefile.am. As you can see, libdvdcontrol
depends on libmsgevents.

This works well when installing normally. However, when building an RPM
package RPM installs the package in a directory different from the
directory in which the package should be installed. This is so that
non-root users can build the rpm packages.

This makes libtool not find libmsgevents in the intended installation
location, because it's not there.

Is there a way around this? Any fix or workaround is fine.

The very clumsy workaround I use right now is, build the rpm package.
Install with --nodeps, build the package _again_ (this time libtool
finds libmsgevents since it's installed), remove the old package,
install the new package.

Oh, and if you want the full source code and the source rpms, please
find them at http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~dvd/

Regards,

        Martin

--
[ http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/ ] [ PGP: 0x453504F1 ] [ UIN: 4439498 ]
    Opinions expressed above are mine, and not those of my future employees.