patching for darwin

From: F J Franklin
Subject: patching for darwin
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 09:49:29 +0000 (GMT)

The attached patch, and the use of bash rather than zsh, reduces the number of
failed tests to one - the last failure being hardcode.test, which I haven't
really looked at in any detail.

A fix for everybody's favourite darwin bug (the convenience lib. thingy) is
included. It's improved from my original submission in June and doesn't seem
to break anything. We even have the latest CVS glib & gtk+ building now!
(I'm told it fixes only the symptoms, not the problem, but it's a start.)

The module loader is derived from Dan Winship's gmodule-dyld. I've reworked
it as a dlopen/dlclose/etc. interface for direct inclusion in ltdl.c but also
as a standalone file in case anybody wants to use it elsewhere. (I'm very new
to modules and there are still some issues to be addressed, so to speak...)

The only thing I'm really uncertain about is the 'fix' (\\\"\1\\\" -> \"\1\")
for lt_cv_sys_global_symbol_to_c_name_address where I have changed the two
instances but perhaps it would be better to add a third darwin-specific case?

Anyway, I'd be grateful if people could test the patch. Here's a sample
ChangeLog entry:

2001-11-03  Francis J Franklin  <address@hidden>

        darwin updates:
        * libltdl/Makefile.am: add ltdyld.c & ltdyld.h
        * libltdl/ltdl.c: include ltdyld.c & ltdyld.h if HAVE_DYLD
        * libltdl/ltdyld.c: libdl-equiv. wrapper round NeXT module interface
        * libltdl/ltdyld.h: header, with LTDYLD_REPLACE_DLFCN option
        * libtool.m4:
        - check for NSLinkModule
        - copy darwin linker characteristics to CXX config section
        - lt_cv_sys_global_symbol_to_c_name_address fix (\\\"\1\\\" -> \"\1\")
        * ltdl.m4: check for NSLinkModule
        * ltmain.in:
        - fix infamous conv. library bug (a.k.a. Appalling Patch, Version 0.3)
        - don't add nothing after piecewise linking
        * tests/Makefile.am: propagate $(SHELL) to tests

Regards, Frank

Francis James Franklin
address@hidden

Deep in the human unconsciousness is a pervasive need for a logical
universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step
beyond logic.
          --- from `The Sayings of Muad'dib' by the Princess Irulan