Libtool itself -- speeding it up -- implementation question.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Libtool itself -- speeding it up -- implementation question.
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:57:46 -0600

I know that libtool is written in /bin/sh, and I realize that's for
portability reasons, but I also seem to recall some discussion of
rewriting parts of libtool in C to speed up some of the slower
operations.

If this is is in fact under consideration, it made me wonder if there
might be alternatives to C.  In particular, I wondered if it might be
possbile to consider re-writing libtool (or perhaps parts) in perl,
and if this would provide any substantial performance/maintainability
benefits.

The perl core seems likely to be very widely available, and it doesn't
appear to use libtool itself, so there shouldn't be any bootstrapping
issues for new architectures.

Dumb idea?

--
Rob Browning