Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:41:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Bruno Haible wrote:

> 3) Introduce a libintl-config script that sets outputs the right -L and
>    -rpath option.

Most packages appear to select this option.  Unfortunately it is often
worse than useless because it only works in the most simplistic case
--- the case where the application only uses that one library.

As soon as more than one *-config script is used to obtain -I, -L, and
-l options, things blow up since the combination of path options often
selects the wrong files, and the libraries may be linked in the wrong
order.

What is needed is a "database" which acts as a registry of installed
packages.  This would be updatable by 'make install' as well as binary
packaging tools.  A tool would be provided to formulate the optimum
-I, -L, and -llibs options required to build using a set of libraries.
The database would need to be distributable across multiple prefixes
in order to handle the case where libraries are provided by the
system, installed to a common local directory, and installed in a
private directory.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden