Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:31:57 -0600

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Uh?  AIUI, the basename of the shared library is embedded in the
> executable, but not the full path.  The library is searched for first
> in the -rpath directories (also embedded in the executable) and then
> in the global directories such as /usr/lib.

The problem I'm talking about is if Makefile.am's use

  LDFLAGS = `gnome-config --libs foo` `foo-config --libs bar`

then if you've got a normal gnome-dev package installed, such that
it's libs are in /usr/lib, it will (or at least it used to) put
-L/usr/lib into LDFLAGS ahead of whatever foo-config specifies.

Now if the system you're on has foo version 1.1 installed in /usr but
you want to develop for foo version 2.0, even if you install foo 2.0
into ~/opt/foo-2.0, you can't develop with it because gnome-config's
-L/usr/lib will force you to use the foo 1.1 version in /usr/lib.

Now you can get around this by changing the order above, but that
won't scale, and breaks if the situation wrt foo and gnome were
reversed.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu