Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem
Date: 19 Nov 2001 20:33:08 -0800

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem I'm talking about is if Makefile.am's use

>   LDFLAGS = `gnome-config --libs foo` `foo-config --libs bar`

> then if you've got a normal gnome-dev package installed, such that
> it's libs are in /usr/lib, it will (or at least it used to) put
> -L/usr/lib into LDFLAGS ahead of whatever foo-config specifies.

This is a bug in the packaging that should be reported to your
distribution.  Under no circumstances should /usr/lib, /usr/include, and
other such default paths be included in the configured link or compile
flags, and the packager needs to fix them if they are.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>