Linking external libraries

From: Lars von Wedel
Subject: Linking external libraries
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:21:00 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to build dynamic libraries from IDL-generated sources.
Compilation
works fine, but when trying to build the library, libtool complains
about the 'real'
file for the (dynamic) libraries referred to. Their .lib and .dll files
are in the
linker path using -L, though.

The external libraries have been built using VC++ 6.

Any help is appreciated,
Lars

Compilation output:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link g++
-I/cygdrive/d/programme/omni/include -D__x86__ -D__NT__ -D__WIN32__
-D__OSVERSION__=4   -o librealmsIdl.la -rpath /usr/local/lib
-no-undefined -version-info 0:0:0 -L/cygdrive/d/programme/omni/lib
-L/cygdrive/d/programme/omni/bin cape_environmentSK.lo
process_centered_environmentSK.lo concurrency_managementSK.lo
-lomniORB302_rt -lomniDynamic302_rt -lomnithread2_rt

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library
-lomniORB302_rt.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libomniORB302_rt but no candidates were found. (...for file
magic test)

[...]

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.