Re: libtool, Apache 2.0, AIX

From: Jeff Trawick
Subject: Re: libtool, Apache 2.0, AIX
Date: 30 Nov 2001 18:25:44 -0500

Robert Boehne <address@hidden> writes:

>   In Libtool we allow for either to be built, the latter being
> created when -Wl,-brtl is added to LDFLAGS during configure.

>From my perspective, I only get to choose we whether or not I do
run-time linking... I don't get to choose what format shared
object/library I get.  And these are orthogonal issues.

Since run-time linking is a set of behaviors that affects how the
applications and libraries interact and no mere file storage/naming
issue, it is clear that to run-time link or not to run-time link is
the choice really being made.  That's why I shudder when I am told
that the way to get libtool to use pure libfoo.so on AIX is to simply
add "-Wl,-brtl".  It hides the fact that apps can start working
differently.

But I admit that I need to read all available doc on run-time linking
and then go re-do the conversations I've had in the past with me
better able to ask why run-time linking isn't the right thing.

--
Jeff Trawick | address@hidden | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...