Re: Hack for inter-library dependency (make DESTDIR=... install) problem

From: roth . gnu
Subject: Re: Hack for inter-library dependency (make DESTDIR=... install) problem.
Date: 30 Nov 2001 16:32:59 -0800

==> "rb" == Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

    rb> For those stuck on this problem (and presuming we're not just
    rb> using libtool improperly in Guile) I've figured out a
    rb> temporary hack that will allow you to build and install
    rb> packages in temporary (i.e. not --prefix) directories when you
    rb> have inter-library dependencies.

    rb> I just had to add a spurious -L for the build directory of the
    rb> depended on library whereever appropriate.  i.e.

    rb> libguilereadline_la_LIBADD = ../libguile/libguile.la

    rb> became

    rb> libguilereadline_la_LIBADD = -L`pwd`/../libguile/.libs
    rb> ../libguile/libguile.la

Another solution (probably covered here) is to fill in the
LIBRARY_PATH search path:

  for file in `find $builddir -name "*.la" -print xargs -i sed -e
    LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:$DESTDIR$file
  done

I haven't looked at the latest libtools source, but this may already
be implemented.

-- Carl