prelink problem with libtool 1.4.2 on Irix 6.5

From: Oliver
Subject: prelink problem with libtool 1.4.2 on Irix 6.5
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:39:39 -0500

Hello, we were using libtool 1.4a on Irix 6.5, with automake 1.5 and
autoconf 2.52.  We create some shared C++ libraries that require
automatic template instantiation.  Mips CC does this by doing a pre-link
stage before creating the shared library.  This was correctly happening
with libtool 1.4a. Now we have upgraded libtool to 1.4.2, and build
fails: there is no prelink stage, so the libraries are unusable.

To summarise:

with libtool 1.4a, our shared C++ library is correctly built since the
prelink stage takes place
with libtool 1.4.2, the prelink stage does not take place so the
libraries are incomplete

I can't find anyhting in the documentation that suggests that something
has to be changed to our configure.in or Makefile.am's for libtool 1.4.2
or that something else has to be done.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver Schoenborn