Re: Hack for inter-library dependency (make DESTDIR=... install) problem

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Hack for inter-library dependency (make DESTDIR=... install) problem.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 21:04:48 -0600

address@hidden writes:

> Another solution (probably covered here) is to fill in the
> LIBRARY_PATH search path:
>
>   for file in `find $builddir -name "*.la" -print xargs -i sed -e
> "s:libdir='\(.*\)':\1:" {}`; do
>     LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:$DESTDIR$file
>   done
>
> I haven't looked at the latest libtools source, but this may already
> be implemented.

Could you explain this a little further?  By LIBRARY_PATH here do you
mean LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at least for Linux)?

If so, I'm not sure this will help since the relink step explicitly
mentions -L/usr/lib -lfoo when I'm actually installing into ./tmp via
"make DESTDIR=`pwd`/tmp install", and of course, foo's in pwd/tmp, not
/usr/lib yet.

What I need is for the relink step to link against the build tree
libfoo (or more likely the DESTDIR libfoo) and not worry about the
fact that the library's eventually going to be in /usr/lib...

I'm curious about your suggestion because the hack I'm using right now
is causing problems, and I'm going to have to come up with something
better.  I've even thought of sed'ing the .la files in place, but I'd
love a better alternative.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning