Re: arg list too long

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: arg list too long
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:22:55 -0600

Mathew Yeates wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Robert.
>
> I can't change this parameter on my system (yes its Irix). Even if I could,
> something seems wrong with libtool in that particular libraries are
> being linked in literally hundreds of times. The time required to link
> a single executable is on the order of minutes instead of seconds.
>
> Can you tell me where to get the alpha release of libtool?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mathew

Sure I can tell you where to get the alpha release:
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-1.4d.tar.gz

I guess (from looking at your email address) that
it isn't rocket science.  ;)

The "linking hundreds of duplicate libraries" is another
feature of Libtool that is only turned on explicitly
in the alpha release.  For some software it is required
(when linking static libs with convoluted dependencies)
so it was added to 1.4.2.  You shouldn't have these problems
if you reconfigure the package to use the alpha Libtool.

HTH,

Robert