Re: PATCH: Fix libtool to support Linux/mips

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix libtool to support Linux/mips
Date: 07 Feb 2002 03:10:07 -0200

On Feb  4, 2002, "H . J . Lu" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 09:52:04AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Feb  4, 2002, "H . J . Lu" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> >    * libtool.m4 (lt_cv_deplibs_check_method): Support Linux/mips.
>>
>> Before I waste any further time on it, is it any different from the
>> patch I rejected some months ago?  It seems to still have the same
>> problem.

> I don't remember why you rejected it.

The reason was that your patch enabled dependency tracking control
that is unnecessary for most GNU/Linux systems.  It was only necessary
for old ARM systems whose glibc was broken.  Perhaps such dependency
control is also necessary for mips, because of the way its relocations
are set up, in which case you could have removed mips|mipsel from the
list of cpus that can use pass_all, and added a case for mips|mipsel
with a file_magic that handled the output of file on mips.  I.e., fix
the problem you had without causing problems for others, exactly the
way I had asked for earlier.

But no, you had to go ahead and make libtool slower on all other
GNU/Linux architectures slower because you didn't understand what was
going on and chose not to take my advice.  Nice move!  :-/

Now please submit a patch for libtool that reverts your incorrect
patch and introduces the correct fix I suggest above.

Thanks in advance,

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}