Please help: Library search path question

From: jks
Subject: Please help: Library search path question
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:11:35 -0600

Hello all,

For some reason I keep getting a "cannot open shared object file" error, even
though I have added the library location (/usr/local/lib) to ld.so.conf.  I
did export LD_DEBUG=libs and got the output listed below, indicating that
/usr/local/lib is not being searched, even though I added it to ld.so.conf.

In fact, the paths listed in "system search path" below do not correspond to
/etc/ld.conf.  This is a RedHat 7.1 system.

But moreover, I thought that this would be taken care of transparently because
the library is installed with Autoconf, Automake & Libtool.

Will someone please let me know what I am doing wrong?  I have been consulting
the Libtool, Automake, Autoconf, Autobook and Program Library HOWTO.  Any help
appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Output of trying to run the test program that uses the smdi shared library:

31926:  find library=libsmdi.so.0; searching
31926:   search cache=/etc/ld.so.cache
31926:   search path=/lib/mmx:/lib:/usr/lib/mmx:/usr/lib                (system
search path)
31926:    trying file=/lib/mmx/libsmdi.so.0
31926:    trying file=/lib/libsmdi.so.0
31926:    trying file=/usr/lib/mmx/libsmdi.so.0
31926:    trying file=/usr/lib/libsmdi.so.0
31926:
./test: error while loading shared libraries: libsmdi.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory