Re: PATCH: pointless code removal

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: PATCH: pointless code removal
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:20:15 -0800

Hi Alexandre,

> This wouldn't work with:
>
>   libtool gcc -c foo.c -Xcompiler -M

[['cuz libtool would then think ``-M'' is the source file...]]

> Automake's depcomp sometimes appends things like `-Wc,-M', but
> I'm using the equivalent `-Xcompiler -M' here because it seems
> your patch removes the support for this.

So, what emits ``-Xcompiler -M'' stuff anyway?  Even still, with
a little thought it should be possible to avoid all that complexity.
When intertwined with the logic for handling the four-state
output file state, it becomes quite indecipherable.  But, now that
I know it is used to glue options onto command lines, it is at
least vaguely comprehensible. .... I'll have to think some more...
Minimally, I'll add some comments to the code.  :-)