RE: building static on AIX

From: Howard Chu
Subject: RE: building static on AIX
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:49:55 -0800

Something else to keep in mind; on AIX there is no reason to build
static libraries since the linker can perform static links using shared
objects as input. So for this case, "-static" should be a silent no-op
and libtool should just continue to build a shared library. (Moreover,
the AIX linker executes a lot faster with shared objects as input, and
yes, it's smart enough to extract just the pieces it needs, it won't pull
in the entire object file on a static link.)

  -- Howard Chu