Re: Trouble controlling linking if many library versions are installed

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Trouble controlling linking if many library versions are installed
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:53:33 -0600 (CST)

The foo-config type scripts are fraught with problems.  They attempt
to be a complete solution rather than expressing only the dependencies
they directly contribute.  Unfortunately, eliminating -L/usr/lib
-L/lib and -I/usr/include is not an appropriate solution because it
may be that library dependencies dictate that a library in this
directory is required prior to another library.  The only solution may
be explicit linkage.

Working CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS options for complex packages are
generally hand-crafted based on detailed analysis and experience.

Bob