Libtool and test() under Solaris

From: Charles Gagnon
Subject: Libtool and test() under Solaris
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:25:56 -0500

I have seem plenty of discussions about the proper use of the test functions
in libtool. What is the status of this problem, is it completely fixed in
libtool 1.4.2 and/or 1.4d? Is it only up to app developpers now?

I'm asking because I tried compiling pkg-config-0.12.0 over the weekend on a
Solaris box. No matter what I tried (multiple version of libtool including
1.3.5, 1.4 and 1.4.2, also tried various shells), I got:

    libtool: link: warning: `-version-info' is ignored for convenience libraries
    libtool: link: warning: `-release' is ignored for convenience libraries
    rm -fr .libs/libglib.la .libs/libglib.* .libs/libglib-1.2.*
    ./libtool: test: argument expected
    make[4]: *** [libglib.la] Error 1

I did notify the maintainer of pkg-config but I was not sure it that was an
app problem or a libtool problem.

Thanks.

--
Charles Gagnon                   | My views are my views and they
http://unixrealm.com             | do not represent those of anybody

   One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
        -- Dennis Miller