Enabling shared libraries selectively

From: Roberto Bagnara
Subject: Enabling shared libraries selectively
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:24:45 +0100

Hi there,

I have aproject where I would like to use AC_DISABLE_SHARED so that
not building shared libraries is the default.  Of course, this is ideal
for development and debugging but there is a problem: the `make check'
target in one of the project's subdirectories requires building a shared
library (because a particular test can only be done and does only make
sense with a shared library).

Can I avoid building that shared library "by hand" (with all the consequent
portability problems) and use libtool instead?
If so, how can I do it?
Thanks a lot

     Roberto

P.S.

In the configured libtool script (version 1.4.2) that is put in the build
directory it seems that the `build_libtool_libs' variable is assigned to
`no' and never changed again.
Perhaps an option like `--shared' should be added to that script
to override the default?

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara
Computer Science Group