Re: libtool, OpenBSD, plugins, large breakage

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: libtool, OpenBSD, plugins, large breakage
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:26:14 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Marc Espie wrote:

[removed qt-bugs, and moved kde-devel to kde-core-devel, because I only
read that, and it's more appropraite]

> I'm not sure kde makes consistent use of -module and -avoid-version with
> respect to libtool.

We don't.  We sometimes use -module, but then link against that shared
object, as if it was I library.  I meant to do something about this for
some months now, but never got around to it.  It's also needed for NetBSD
with a.out, I believe.  This is exactly the problem you have.  What should
be done, and I even have some patches here which do this, is for each
module, whose functionality also is used for others, is to create a shared
lib, _and_ a module linking against that lib.

> dcopserver `module' is built with -module -avoid-version, and then linked
> with -ldcopserver -> ouch), or built incorrectly, as libplugin.so.0.0,

Yep, we then would have libdcopserver_bla.so.* which can be linked
against, and dcopserver.so, which can be loaded.  We have a small problem
here, as the library need to have a different basename than the module,
for some architecture, where even modules need to be called lib*.*.  (This
is what the _bla above is for).

> I really would like to know what the solution is.  Specifically, what's
> the deal with -module -avoid-version ?  Either I need to have a way to
> differentiate with stuff that will be used with dlopen, or linked in as

Hmm, I really thought, that the various BSDs have patches for exactly this
problem in their ports tree.  At least I got the patches from someone from
NetBSD.

I won't have time till begin next week to work on this.

Ciao,
Michael.