Re: relinking and buildroots

From: Ewald Snel
Subject: Re: relinking and buildroots
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:58:35 +0200

Hi,

[...]

> I do agree that the general solution would involve a libtool change.
> As long as everyone agrees on something like DESTDIR (which I believe
> is the automake convention in any case) then there's no reason why
> libtool shouldn't be able to handle it (or at least, facilitate it).
> For the time being, though, all of my configure scripts include
> hacked-up linker and/or compiler wrappers.

There was a patch for this problem posted on this mailing list about two
months ago by Bruno Haible. It seems to work really well and, from what I can
tell, seems safe for platforms not supporting DESTDIR. This would really help
fix packaging problems for many projects (at least on some platforms).

I have attached the (modified) patch for libtool 1.4.2. You can find the
original patch by Bruno Haible in the archive of this mailing list. It would
be nice if this would finally be fixed. :)

Thank you.
bye,

ewald