Re: Darwin module problem (pfe-0.32.56)

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Darwin module problem (pfe-0.32.56)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:22:54 +0200

hmmm hmmm - you're right, there seems to be a second instance
that looks like a reoccuring overquoting problem:

# Transform the output of nm in a C name address pair
global_symbol_to_c_name_address="sed -n -e 's/^: \\([^ ]*\\) \$/
 {\\\"\\1\\\", (lt_ptr) 0},/p' -e 's/^[BCDEGRST] \\([^ ]*\\)
\\([^ ]*\\)\$/  {\"\\2\", (lt_ptr) \\&\\2},/p'"

here we have again \\\"\\1\\\" - but what makes me wonder is
the second "-e"-expression as you'll see the correct
transformation into \"\\2\" - this is kind of weird.

looking into the matching libtool.m4 (serial 46), there I
can see the two different quotings for the two -e expressions,
right there on that symbol (prepended with lt_cv), yes,
I mean it is there just that way - verbatim! And it did
not change in libtool cvs/head AFAICS.

so, is this a general bug in libtool on a rarely used feature?

<snip>

coming back to the module-build on darwin, the cvs sources
look as if the resp. [test \"\$module\"] problem has been
solved by simply rewriting the test without any doublequotes
in it - it shall expand into (test .$module = .yes) instead
of the x-prefix-with-doublequotes we have here, which accounts
also for the libtool-1.4.2 branch - it seems to be a very
old correction even that I did not find the exact location.
well, let's hope there is a libtool release somewhen that can
do darwin compiling then....

cheers, guido