Re: Passing info from subdirs back to main configure

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Passing info from subdirs back to main configure
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:59:18 +0200

>>> "Borsenkow" == Borsenkow Andrej <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Borsenkow> - is it possible for configure in subdirs access
 Borsenkow> test results of top-level configure?

Both configure's will share a common cache file if enabled, but
this is not enough to emit all the AC_SUBST and AC_DEFINE
computed by the top-level configure (assuming that's what you
meant).

Maybe it's not really needed.  Just a idea (maybe it doesn't
work): the module code could include the top-level `config.h'
plus a local `config.h', or you could concatenate both files
while creating the local `config.h' (similarly, Makefiles could
be built by concatenating a portion generated by the top-level
config.status with a local portion).

 Borsenkow> - modules may need additional libraries (as
 Borsenkow> determined by configure).  Assuming that module is
 Borsenkow> linked statically, how can it pass this information
 Borsenkow> to top-level configure so these libraries can be
 Borsenkow> included when linking main program?

It can't.  But instead you can dump the dependencies in a file
when linking the module, and read this file before linking the
main program.  Libtool would do that for you.

[...]

 Borsenkow> Am I right that
[...]
 Borsenkow> libtool will recognize if moduleX is built statically and links it
 Borsenkow> statically into main program and will also automatically add any
 Borsenkow> dependent libraries when linking main program?

Yep.

 Borsenkow> In this case the only problem is - how can I pass
 Borsenkow> from top-level configure the information about
 Borsenkow> static built? I.e. if user wants one particular
 Borsenkow> module to be linked in statically - how can I pass
 Borsenkow> extra option (--disable-dynamic?)  to configure of
 Borsenkow> this module _only_ from top-level configure.

I don't think you can.  I assume you'd have to hack something
similar to the --enable-omit-module=LIST option Zsh used to
support (to workaround the impossible --disable-module=LIST).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz