Re: libtool and JNI libraries on Mac OS X

From: Schleicher Ralph (LLI)
Subject: Re: libtool and JNI libraries on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:27:44 +0200

Don Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

> I was of a libtool option:
>
>    --moduleext=.jnilib

Hi,

I second that.  I'm experimenting building Matlab MEX-files using
Libtool and run into the same problem.  At present, my Makefile.am
looks as follows:

# Libtool library.
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libhello.la
include_HEADERS = hello.h

libhello_la_SOURCES = hello.h hello.c
libhello_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -version-info 0:0:0

# Executable program.
bin_PROGRAMS = hello

hello_SOURCES = main.c
hello_CFLAGS = @LIBHELLO_DLL_IMPORT@
hello_LDADD = libhello.la

# Matlab MEX-file.
noinst_SCRIPTS = hell.$(MEXEXT)
matlabarch_LTLIBRARIES = hell.la

hell_la_SOURCES = hell.c
hell_la_CFLAGS = @LIBHELLO_DLL_IMPORT@ -I$(MATLAB)/extern/include
hell_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -avoid-version -module
hell_la_LDFLAGS += -export-symbols $(srcdir)/mex-symbols
hell_la_LDFLAGS += libhello.la -L$(MATLAB)/bin/$(MATLAB_ARCH) -lmex -lmx -lm

CLEANFILES = $(noinst_SCRIPTS)

SUFFIXES = .$(MEXEXT)

$(noinst_SCRIPTS): $(matlabarch_LTLIBRARIES)
        rm -f $@
        eval `$(LIBTOOL) --config | grep '^objdir='` ; \
        eval `grep '^dlname=' $*.la` ; \
        $(LN_S) $$objdir/$$dlname $@

That works so far.  What I miss is a Libtool option for

a) Using $(MEXEXT) as the file name extension for modules.
   $(MEXEXT) is equal to dll on Windows but, for example, mexsol on Sun
   Solaris.

b) Building and installing only shared objects for hell.la.
   There's no need to build static objects and archive libraries for
   modules because they can not be dlopened.   I know there is a global
   --disable-shared option for configure but I want to have an archive
   library for libhello.la, too.

Regards,

--
Ralph